(Delegates from Clonmel at Leinster House to meet Minister Shatter, including Chamber CEO, Brian Cleary, (centre))
Clonmel Chamber CEO, Brian Cleary, was part of the delegation that met with Minister Alan Shatter regarding the possible closure of Kickham Barracks. The meeting arranged by Tom Hayes T.D. gave the group an opportunity to put their case to the Justice Minister.
“The main point that came across to me was that the Minister needs to make cost savings as part of the overall restructuring of the nation’s finances. However the cost of closing Kickham Barracks far outweighs the cost of keeping it open” said Cleary.
“Research shows that approximately one hundred thousand will be saved
annually by such a move. However the cost of saving this figure will be in the millions. The cost of moving almost two hundred staff to Limerick coupled with ensuring that facilities at the new barracks are capable of hosting the additional troops will far outweigh the savings. While savings need to be made there are methods of finding efficiencies that will enable Clonmel and other barracks to remain open, all that it takes is a deeper investigation into the day to day costs of the Irish army. Minister Shatter said that no decision had been made regarding the issue and I believe that the costs that will be incurred in a transfer to Limerick will far outweigh any costs that could be saved” he added.
Clonmel Chamber is also encouraging people to attend the protest march on Saturday, October 22nd which will leave St. Mary’s in Irishtown at 2pm.
« Back to All News Stories