Clonmel Chamber has operated a work placement policy for many years. We regard placements as excellent opportunities to learn and improve skills. That is why we are more than willing to work with local groups and colleges to take in work placement students.
Last year, we welcomed almost thirty different placement students. They work in our main office dealing with members, suppliers and general enquiries. But they don't do this straight away. We take time to sit down and work with placement students to ensure that they are briefed on how the organisation works, what standards are expected and then they are brought into the loop on the current issues. We make sure that work placement students are treated like staff and are made to feel that they are part of our team.
We welcome enquiries regarding work placement with Clonmel Chamber. However we have a number of rules regarding our acceptance of work placement students:
- First preference is given to companies/associations and colleges that are members of Clonmel Chamber.
- We insist on interviewing the students before they come to work in our offices. Candidates that are pre-screened are more likely to have a beneficial experience. We do not accept placements from ANY organisations where we have not met and screened the candidate (this includes candidates coming from member organisations).
- Work placement students are here to learn and work. We expect a certain level of commitment and engagement from students.
- We do not offer a babysitting service. Any student who thinks that they can come to our offices for a period of time to sit in the corner will be sent home. This will also impact on our willingness to accept students from that organisation in the future.
- We regard work placement as a 'window on the world of work' - so it is just like a real job. So that means - no hoop earings, no hot pants, no tracksuits, no chewing gum and a smart casual presentation. Our main office is open to the public and we expect a degree of professionalism from students. If this isn't adhered to - the student will be sent home.
- We are lovely people really. We are also professionals.
Our work placement calendar fills up quickly. If you want to enquire about work placement opportunities, call our CEO Brian Cleary today on 052 61 26500.