Clonmel Chamber is the largest business organisation in South Tipperary. We are actively involved in creating and maintaining a positive business environment in the area – one that enables organisations to develop more opportunities, generate additional revenue and create further employment locally.
(Mr. John F. O'Gorman, the first president of Clonmel Chamber of Commerce in 1925)
(This is a photo of a number of local notable individuals taken 5 days after Clonmel Chamber of Commerce was founded. John F. O'Gorman sits in the middle of the front row)
Over the years the Chamber has championed the cause of local business with public bodies and the general public. One of its most notable achievements was in the 1960's when it undertook a project to attract a multinational business to Clonmel to create employment. At a meeting of the board of the Chamber on the evening of January 26th 1965, at the Ormonde Hotel, the President, Mr Brian P. Duffy, informed the attendees that Scheisser had agreed to open a factory in Clonmel.
Minute books dating back to the early 1950's were recently discovered during renovations and show that many of the same issues that affect businesses were prevalent at the time. These include parking and the need for a multi storey car park in the town centre.
Clonmel Chamber of Commerce was incorporated as a limited company in November 1985 and in the ensuing years the board and members undertook to provide a permanent premises for the organisation and a full time executive.
Maureen McNamara has dedicated a large part of her life to the Chamber on a voluntary level and it was fitting that she would become the first full time executive at the organisation. She has been succeeded since by William O'Donnell, Elaine McGowran, Frank O'Donoghue and Brian Cleary.